Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Feb. 21, 2011 Our letter from Matt

Hi family!

It was so nice to hear from so many of you today! I love hearing about how everything is going!! Thanks for the letter Dad - It made my day! And Natalie - you sent me two letters before i could even send you one!! So the ball's in your court! Hahhahah! :) I'll send you one soon, and maybe some pics :) (If you're lucky)

Well! This week was wild! I guess life isn't quite as blissful as i make it out to be in my letters, but it's still good!

- We went to Mass last monday with Pat, and it was AWESOME. A crazy lady was yelling at us in the doorway that she had found the truth in the Catholic church, and we could repent and join the Catholic church! Pat seemed kinda embarrassed, and we continued the meeting. It was odd - I've never attended one before. Alot of kneeling and standing up, and they believe when the priest blesses the crackers and wine that they ACTUALLY turn into the literal flesh and blood of the Savior. Creepy. Haha so that was an adventure!!

- In addition to your AWESOME Valentines package, i got one from the Landeens and one from the Kinghorns. They were so much fun! The Landeens were wondering if you could send them my emails. The kinghorns package was HUGE! Jerky, candy, peach rings (My favorite), etc! Please tell them thanks and that i love and miss them! I will write them as soon as possible.

- Mom, could you send me a total form my bank account? I've been keeping track of my other credit card, but I don't know how much money I have in there, and there have been a couple unplanned expenses! :) Just when you get a chance!

- Could you also send me Brennan's mission address? I miss him dearly and want to send him some sassy letters full of joy and gladness!

- I gave a baptismal invite to a couple this week! The Risdon's - JOhn and Nelly. They are in their 40's, and hopefully they will have their hearts softened! We've been working with them for a while now, and it seems like he is getting more keen on the idea. The trick is getting them to church! Agh! They just wont come! Hahah! But they'll come around. SO that's exciting!!
(I'm a missionary!!!!)

- We called our relief society president to ask her a question the other night, and she informed us that a non member friend of a lady in the ward that we've been trying to meet with lately was not doing so hot. We tried by about a week ago, and she got really mad at us and told us to never come back.... Sis. Magnusson (RS Pres) told us that later that day she tried to commit suicide, and it might not be such a great ideo to go there any more. WOAH. So we had to cross her off our stuff! Yikes. But i guess it wasnt because of us, ao no worries there.

- This week we have had some crazy/cold weather! It got down to the 40's a couple times! We had torrential rain, snow, hail, tornado warnings, lightening, thunder, etc. Holy cow! Luckily we were inside the church when this was happening on saturday! When we woke up sunday all the mountains were capped with snow and eveyone was freaking out about it, because that hasnt happened in like 20 years. Crazy!

- Also sunday a lady invited some homeless guys to church, and they came..! They reeked of alcohol and coffee. We had to stay out in the foyer with one, and he quoted scripture after scripture to us, and told us that he graduated top of his class at Brown, and speaks 12 languages. Why is he homeless? Hmm.... But that was an adventure! They both asked for money afterwords and asked the bishop for help. but Brenda (The lady that invited them) felt pretty good about herself!

(ps. they called us Staurday night looking for a place to stay.. that was weird, and kinda scary. I hope brenda doesnt tell them where we live!)

- Those suit pants are ok - They just looked bad! The fabric is just balled around the waist where nobody sees. No worries!

- We are going to do a 40 day fast this coming month in our ward for missionary work. One family fasts every day of the 40 days, and we eat dinner with them to break their fast (We don't fast - it's against the rules) But hopefully we'll begin to see alot more success from this! We're praying for it!!!!

- Do you think you could also send my line of authority sometime? I was jst thinking about it - it might be nice. Thanks!

Well, i think that's it for exciting ole Cali! I love you all! The church is true! Keep praying for us, and i'll do the same for you! Godspeed,

Elder Monk

(The pictures are the fresh fruit we picked yesterday - oranges for breakfast and tangerines for lunch, and the mountains with snow!)


No comments: