Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Best Birthday Ever!



We knew Matt was flying out of Salt Lake on January 24th , heading for Ventura, California. On the Thursday before he left, we received a copy of his itinerary in the mail. When I got it, it all came to me. . . Wynn was going to Atlanta, Georgia on the same day. Could this really be true? My brain was just a go’in. So, Sunday night Wynn and I sat down at the computer and started figuring where each terminal was and if would be possible for Wynn to “spot” Matt at the airport. Matt was leaving Provo at 6:00 a.m. and his flight was at 10:19 a.m. Wynn was leaving Idaho Falls at 6:30 a.m. and his flight out of Salt Lake was at 8:30. Each were going totally opposite directions. Didn’t look like it would work at all.

I did not sleep at all on Sunday night. Twice I had written Matt and asked if he could call home before leaving for California. He hadn’t responded to either request but my other missionaries got to. I was very hopeful.

I got up early Monday morning and took Wynn to the airport and then couldn’t go back to sleep. I got up and got ready for the day, in hopes I would be chatting on the phone later on.

Just before 8:00 my phone rang and the caller ID said Wynn’s cell. My heart dropped, our plan had not worked out and he was just letting me know. When I answered I heard a voice say, “Hi Mom, this is Matt.” Oh, my heart dropped and the tears came. We talked for just a moment and then he said he would call me back after he got through security.

Wynn had gotten to the airport and went looking for missionaries. He saw a big group come in but none of them were Matt. He waited for a while for some more to come but it didn’t happen. He decided he better get to where his flight was going be. He got upstairs and decided to turn and look some more when another group of missionaries came into the airport. They were just starting to go through security. Low and behold, there was Matt! He went back down and just went over and asked his group of Elders where they were going. Matt turned and looked and said, “What are you doing here?” They hugged and then Wynn handed Matt his phone and asked him to call me. Wynn took pictures with his camera and Matt took some with his. I understand that it was a joyous occasion. Wynn talked to one of the sister missionaries who was in Matt’s group and she was from Roanoke, Virginia. That is where Wynn served his mission. He told her that and she said that Matt had told her all about his mission there. Wynn said Matt looked good and seemed happy.

We found out the day after we dropped Matt off at the MTC that Wynn was cancer free! It was so important for Wynn to see Matt and just give him a quick hug. One of those tender mercies you might say.

After Matt got through security he called me and we talked for a whole hour. It was glorious to visit with him and witness his growth already. He has only been gone 19 days but he has grown by leaps and bounds. He bore his testimony to me a couple of times and I could just feel his spirit radiate through the phone. I couldn’t of asked for a better birthday present.

P.S. Pictures are coming as soon as Wynn gets home :)

1 comment:

Paula said...

Love this ... made me cry! Love you!