Monday, June 27, 2011

Matt's letter for June 27th, 2011


Hi mom!

Sounds like you are having tons of fun in good old idaho! Im happy. No package today, but i'll look for it tomorrow or the next day. Thanks!

So Tuesday was President's Farewell! We drove up to the Goleta Vally Stake Center and it was awesome! I played the piano and did pretty well. I didn't have to play the songs i wasn't good at, so it was ok :) I attached a picture of all of us and President Murri and I. I have to let you know... I'm really discouraged with my camera. It takes horrible pictures and I've tried everything. See how bad the group pic is? I couldn't get it any better.. It really makes me sad, because that is the only oppertunity i will have to get pictures with president Murri. Agghhh... Oh well.

President Castro is coming into the mission on wednesday! He'll be coming here to meet us on Friday, so that's pretty good. Im excited!

We taught a lesson to Fred on Wednesday. He's been asking alot of good soul searching questions lately and he claims that nobody has the answers. He asked us to tell him where we came from and where we're going, so i looked up some stuff in the Missionary Pal you sent me and made a copy of a couple pages for him. He said, " I Don't know..." but we challenged him to pray about it and he'd feel better. He said he would!

I also attached a picture of the Best O' Luck sign you sent at St. Patricks. We spray painted it orange and hung it in Bro Donovan's truck! (You know he's a Notre DAme fan and he HATES orange) We found it the next morning burnt to a crisp on our door with that note stapled to it. Haha! I died laughing!

One of our investigators, Xavier Placencia, had his 20th birthday this week. We went over at 6 to give him a DVD and a card, and he was already plastered... Agh. That hurts. But, we'll keep trying. They wanted us to stay, but we got outta there pretty quick.

We also went on exchanges this weekend. I went with with Elder Stoecker up to Goleta and elder McCarey came here with Elder Searcy. It was so much fun! Elder stoecker and I get along so well! We are already best friends. It's too bad he's leaving in 2 weeks. Poo. But that's ok! We had such a great day! We were studying and trying to think of something to share with someone, and we couldnt think of anything. I had flipped to the story of the Liahona earlier, but disregarded it, so i suggested that. He said, "that's exactly what I was thinking!" So we found a talk about hoe the Holy Ghost is OUR liahona, and gave it to this less active guy, and he LOVED it! I'm glad we were in tune with the spirit! :) So needless to say, we had a great day.

In church yesterday there were two guys that sat in sacrament and then in priesthood. They introduced themselves (We get LOTS of tourists) and told us they were from Salt Lake and biking from Vancouver B.C. to Tijuana. SO COOL! We went to dinner at Bro. and Sis. Clarke's and they had invited them over for diinner! They were twins, got their mission calls on the same day, left on the same day, got called to the same city in Chile (Different missions), and their mission president's (who were brothers) were twins too! Haha! What a co-winky-dink. They were nice! Dibs on doing that sometime after my mission.

Last night we went to the Risdon's because we've had trouble meeting with the for the past 2 weeks. We had a nice, short lesson, and then asked them to come to church! They have been promising that they would, but never have, so i pulled the guilt card on them. I told them that I may only have 2 weeks left until i'm transferred, so they promised to come next week! Im SOOOOOOO pumped! They are finally making progress!!! AGH!!!!

Hmm... Anyway, i think that's it. It was a good week. Elder Searcy is tough, and it seems to get better, then he loses it all again. It's really a trial of my patience, but i'm working on it. He's really great, It just seems like im babysitting. But, you're right, this too shall pass.

:)

Well i hope you have a great week! I love you all and look forward to your mail:) Thanks for all you do and for supporting me. I love you and appreciate you. The church is true! We'll figure out a way to email next week. It looks like we may just do it on Tuesday, so if nothing comes Monday, don't freak out! Tell Sister Leavitt hi and that i love and miss her! Don't hesitate to have dad and someone use their preisthood.. Bro sears asked us to give him a blessing on saturday nigh because he was having really bad chest pains and was really afraid. We did, and about a half hour later he came in and said, "Never underestimate the power of prayer! The pains are gone!" It's a real power, and we should use it. Talk to you soon,



Elder Matthew Monk
California Ventura Mission
Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013








No comments: