Monday, November 7, 2011

Monday, November 6, 2011

MOMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow. I cannot tell you how UNBELIEVEABLY Happy I am. The work is amazing, My companion is amazing, everything is perfect. Let me tell you!

Ok, so we went to Ventura for Halloween, and Hannah was Hermione from Harry Potter, and she was SO cute! It was Samuel's birthday on the 3rd, so I got him a CTR tie tack, and so Hannah didn't feel left out, I get her a Return With Honor bracelet. Her and Samuel wrote elder Schiess and me a little letter today, and it was so sweet! Hannah colored me a picture, and Samuel wrote me a nice thank you. I love them so much!!!

ZLC was so good. I added a picture for you. We had a lot of fun!! Our mission president is DEFINATELY called of God! I have a testimony of that! He is amazing and inspired! I am so lucky to be able to work with him so closely!

We have had some changes with how we work lately. President made a Standard of Excellence for our mission  - goals that we strive to reach every week, as well as daily. (Read the last paragraph on pg 146 of PMG) We had to tell our zone, and it didn’t go over well ha ha! But it was ok. So while we were at this ZLC he mentioned that it didn’t go over well in a couple zones, and I guess from what he said that our zone was the worst haha! (Ok i have to interject this... I did my district meeting on Wednesday, and it was sassy. We have a couple really strong personalities that kind of dictate how things go, and they were especially sassy. I was bummed and I had to call president for a question that some elders had on going to the temple, and while we were talking - I didn’t even bring it up - he asked about my district meeting. I said it was suckish and that a couple people were sassy, and I was thinking of 3 specific elders. He said, "Ok, was it elders ______,________, and _______?" I asked how he knew, and all he said was basically, "Well, Elder Monk, I know. From how people talk and what they write in their presidents letters, i just know." !!!!! HOLY COW! He proceeded to tell me that I can take confidence in knowing that I have done my best, and if they choose to reject that, it's their fault. He is so cool. I love him!) So things have been going better!

We had a couple good exchanges this week! We came home from Ventura Tuesday night and immediately went out with the Meadows Ward.  I went with Elder Brinkerhoff, and it was so good! He is a pretty new missionary, and he is on fire! He is so happy and excited, and it made me feel so excited about missionary work.. AGAIN! Haha it was good. Then on Saturday we went to Delano (About 40 min north) and went in Tri-panionships with Elders Marcano, Ainsworth, Richards, and Lyons. It was really good! Delano is probably around 85% Spanish, so there was a lot of Spanish flying around! And no I'm not picking up too much Spanish, just some greetings and stuff. Ex: Hola! Somo los Misioneros de la Iglesia de Jesuchristo de los Santos de los Ultamos Dias. Hi! We are missionaries form the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That’s really it haha! But I did get to try this Spanish corn on the cob! They slather it in Maionaise and butter, then put parmesan cheese and chili powder on it. Sounds nasty, I know, but it was actually pretty good haha! :) Multicultural, huh?!

Our YSA ward is so legit! We had a great Fast meeting yesterday, then after church we had a Break the Fast! YEAH!! So good! And they sent us home with food! :) haha i love it! Then later last night we went to the bishop of the YSA wards house. Bishop and Sister Schafer are SOOOOO SWEET! I love them. Sister Schafer reminds me of you, mom! I told her about the Thankful Journal (WHICH I LOVE!!!) and she loved it. She fed us pumpkin bread and hot chocolate. MMMM! They are super super sweet!

Chase and Angela are doing so good! Thanks for the prayers and stuff! It means a lot, and I feel that it is working a lot! We talked to Angela and she has been wearing her garments a few times! (She hasn’t worn them for a couple years - she's been disfellowshipped) and she met with the bishop yesterday about getting refellowshipped and what its gonna take! WOOOO! And I told her that you put their names in the temple, and she thinks that is SOOOO SWEET! So thanks! :)

I've been doing the thankful journal everyday! Thanks so much mom! I really think it has made a HUGE difference in my days! :) I love it!

Christmas requests... Hmmm.... I do want some Christmas music. I already got the new David Archuleta/MOTAB CD (Sister Ricks gave it to me!) But i would like: Josh Groban, Noel; Anything MOTAB (Except Ring Christmas BElls - got it), and really just anything good. Nothing too rockish or wild or modern please. Sorry if I’m being sassy! The pants? Umm anything black. Stripes would be cool if you could, but if not, whatever. You choose what would look best! I trust ya. Gosh, I don't know. Whatever. Maybe a bunch of stamps... pictures.... I don’t know! I don't really need anything. I'll think about it.

The weather has been a lot cooler here (50's at night or colder, 60s-70s daytime) so it feels IMMACULATE! :) I'm thinking of buying a nice Pea Coat - it's what all the missionaries here wear!!! They are nice. Maybe a little money for that for Christmas would be good. (I'm thinking like ROSS kind - discount and cheap.) It's like a wool trench coat, but shorter. haha! I just like the style!

Anyway, I think that’s it! Good luck at the ZOne COnference! Enjoy it!!! I hope they sing called to serve for ya! Thats what we do at our zone conferences! :) I love you Mom! Have a good week! Merry Christmas!!!

Elder Matthew Monk
  California Ventura Mission
          Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013















No comments: