Monday, October 1, 2012

from our missionary!


Monday, October 1, 2012

Hi Mom!

Well, it was a pretty rough week. Not being a complainer, but it was kinda difficult. The only light is that I have an amazing district, and my companion is the best! I love them so much. On Saturday the Hermanas texted and told us that one of them was getting emergency transferred to Oxnard )Remember we had 3) so the new sister we had is gone now. Sad! 

The only thing I could ask for for my birthday is probably shaving stuff - Like nice razors and shaving cream - the gel kind. I think I’m good with everything else. I mean I don't have a lot of time left, so I don't really need much. Ooh and stamps would be wonderful. That’s about all I could think of!

I got the voting stuff and I VOTED!!! Hahaha it was so exciting! I feel so empowered! :) Haha  I love being able to tell people on the streets that yes, I'm a Mormon, and Yes, I vote! It’s pretty cool.

Hopefully I'll be getting my drivers license extension soon. The senior missionary in the office said it came thru the office last week. That’s a relief! thanks for all your help!

I also got your letter with Sis. LEavitts stuff. I miss her so much! It sounds like a great service. She really was a wonderful lady. I love her so much! I'm glad that we were such a big part of her life, and that you guys never let me quit working for her! She is seriously one of my best friends. She will be missed!

Remember a few weeks ago we tracted into a lady that invited us back? Well, yesterday we got to meet with her AND her husband and have a lesson! She swears like a sailor (Seriously) but is so super sweet. She was flabbergasted that missionaries don't watch TV, use the Internet, etc, so she is determined to get us to watch TV. We, of course, said no! :) I love her family so much already. They invited us back, and hopefully they will be coming to church on Sunday! We even prayed with them. :) It was a sweet experience. I think they are the ones! Pray for the Estrada family!

I went on exchanges with a new missionary in our district, Elder Bate. He is a funny guy! He does yoga while he prays at night. Haha but a way nice kid. He'll be a fantastic missionary! It was a good exchange though, and We got to go tracting and talk to a few people. I love it!

I told you about the Ultimate Member Missionary program, right? Well, Its really dumb, but our ward wants us to do it, and it is not effective at all. Basically at dinner appts we give members these little cards with things they have to accomplish (Make a mormon.org profile, give away a BOM, etc.) and they have to work thru the levels like a video game, and the last level (#5) is giving us a referral. It is so lame! It just takes forever to get a referral and nobody likes it, so we (With the other missionaries) developed a new idea to replace it. We made a card that has 5 goals to always be trying to do:
-pray for a missionary experience
-Have a gospel conversation
-Invite someone to church
-Give away a BOM
-Give the missionaries a referral

So we got some ribbon and tied them on top of a BOM with some passalong cards to give to families at dinner. They are awesome! I'll send you one. It’s a magnet you can put on your fridge. :) So hopefully that will give us some success!

I'll talk to President about the BYU-I thing soon. Thanks for doing that! Tell Victoria thanks too.

Dad got an iPad?!?!! Holy cow.. Thats so fun! Jealous... Haha!

Hmm.. Well I think that’s it for me! Thanks for all you do mom! I love you so much! You are the best ever! :) Talk to you soon,


--
Elder Matthew Monk
 California Ventura Mission
         -  Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013 -

No comments: