Thursday, October 18, 2012

Matt's letter


Monday, October 15, 2011

Dear Mom and Dad,

It was a really good week! My birthday was great, and I got your package on the 12th, so it was perfect. Thank you for thinking of me! I loved the heart-shaped letter. :) It made me smile! And thanks for the coupon for the razors! That is a really good coupon! Just what I wanted. :) We had dinner Fri. at Graciella's - A older Spanish sister and her granddaughters, Monica, Nancy, Mayra, and Deeana. They are so great! We have dinner there every Friday with the Hermana's, and the other elders, and we had a PACHANGA! (Party) Everyone sang happy birthday, then Hermana Hunter brought out a cake that said "Elder Monk" and smashed it in my face! Haha it was pretty funny!  We had a good night. Saturday we did service with the other missionaries, and then did the usual. Pretty ok day!

The HErmana's decorated our apartment door for my birthday while we were gone with balloons and streamers. It was really sweet of them, and I feel super loved by this whole district. 

We have been working extra hard to earn a lot more trust with this ward, especially our ward leadership. We presented our new Member Missionary idea in our ward council yesterday, and everybody loved it. We had dinner with our bishop’s family last night as well and had a fantastic lesson. He has a daughter who is less active and she usually leaves when we teach, but this time she stayed! The spirit was very strong and you could tell that everyone including his daughter could feel it. He walked us to our car and said how thankful he was for us and the spirit we bring into his home and that he loved us a lot. It was a huge miracle! A little sign that there is starting to be a relationship of love and trust. So I’m pretty excited about that! 

Our Ward MIssion LEader also took us to visit a co-workers family he has been talking to and we got a return appt, so that was a miracle. It was such a good day! We stayed busy for the first time in a long time. Success is coming our way!

On to the sad news... Transfers are tomorrow and Elder O'Leary is going to Oxnard.. :( We get along so well! I'm so bummed. I hoped to stay with him for the rest of my mission. My new companion came out with Elder Scott, so he's fairly new. Elder McKinnen I think. Sooo... pray for me! Haha but it will be good. 

Our bishop is going to take us to the temple either this Friday or next Friday, so that is exciting! I can't wait to go! I miss it so much. One of my goals for post-mission life is to go to the temple often. I want to try to go once a week (I know that’s a lot, but we have one in Idaho Falls and Rexburg, I have no excuse not to.). I love it so much and need it more.

I have a couple requests for you to do for me:

Will you take my camera and iPod out, charge them both, and then run them dead for me? Thank you. Remember to take the battery out of the camera when you’re done. Thanks!

Mom I would love it if you would send me a copy of "Healing The Wounded Soul." I would appreciate you a MILLION TIMES! And ASAP would be much much appreciated. Thank you!! (How hard would it be for you to like transcribe it? I would love to have the text, too. We had a member look online in Tehachapi and we couldn't find it. But you don't have to do that!)

It’s sad to hear about Uncle Sam. Send my love please!

Well, thanks for everything mom and Dad! I love you both and miss you. You are the best, and I always love you! Keep in touch!

Love,

---
Elder Matthew Monk
 California Ventura Mission
         -  Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013 -

No comments: