Monday, April 4, 2011

Matt's letter for April 4, 2011



Hola Mommy! (And familia!)

Well, i got your letter this week. It made my day! Thank you so much. I got it between sessions on Saturday, so it was perfect! So, to answer your questions:
- I got the Line O' Authority. Thank you so much! It looks so cool, and i will cherish it! :)
- My shoes are a 10M, and I will send you a picture. I sent the package on saturday, so you'll get it soon.
- Well, we won't call on our cell phones, we'll be calling from a member's cell phone. But, Elder manning says a calling card would be a good idea just in case.
- The 40 day Fast is going epic! We have been fasting one meal out of the day (lunch) and then breaking the members fast with them at dinner. Alot of members are really catching the vision of it and looking for friends to share the Gsopel with and ways to get involved in the community to "get our name out there". It's awesome!
- Thank yopu so much for the quote!!! It's my favorite, and i am so happy to have it! I teach this lesson where i tie a big knot with string, and it doesnt look like anything, until "The Lord" pulls our looses ands and weaves us a little, so that quote will work well with that.\
- I only have 9 pages of journal paper left, so maybe 13 - 16 days of writing left? I usually only use a page a day, but quite often i use more... So maybe sooner than later? :)


Well this week was pretty good! We had alot of work to do (and a lot of time to do it!). We are moving headlong into our 40 day Fast, and as you know, we are fasting one meal out of the day (lunch) to do our part. We've been working on using that extra hour wisely by getting out and doing more! We did A TON of tracting this week. There is a neighborhood just behing the old Jehovah's Witness church in Carp., and we haven't been up there before, so we did those streets. On Tuesday we tracted for about 3 or 4 hours, and about 5 houses before we called it quits, we found a lady that told us she used to live in Utah and is "not a practicing Mormon". She has a friend in Santa Barbara that is an active member, and she said we could come back and talk to her any time. It totally made all of that time worth it! We gave her an invitation for General Conference and she said, "Oh, good! There's a church in Carp! We've been to the one in Santa Barbara a couple times." So, we hopefully will be doing some work with her soon!

Conference was great! It totally feels like they speak right to me every time. We had our investigators in mind the whole time, and i think we have some great ideas for them! We were hoping to get a couple there, but when we went over to see them between sessions, i think they had been "partying" the night before, and wouldn't come to the door. Their dad said they had to go to his parents house, and they couldn't come. Darn! But, we will keep trying! :)

I guess I never thought much about how all the speakers at Conference prepare their talks. I knew they weren't assigned a topic, but i never realized how inspired they were! I loved Elder Holland's talk on how much the Brethren love us, and how much our support means to them. I also really loved Elder Scott's talk about his wife and how she helped him and how he helped her. It makes sense that they would devote so much to each other! They obviously had an amazing marriage and a joyful time together! What ajoyous reunion beyond the veil! I bet he can't wait. :)

Here's my favorite quote from conference:

"A person cannot give a crust to the Lord without receiving a loaf in return." --Melvin J. Ballard

Godspeed!

Elder Matt Monk]

I hope you all have a great week. Sounds like you had fun on spring break! LUCKY! I wanted to see Phantom of the Opera way bad! Hahah! Sounds like fun. We can go to a play in Santa Barbara when we come back and stay with the Snelling's. (They've already invited me and you guys! They have a bed and breakfast below their house - you would love it! It's 2 rooms and a bathroom and eating area. I'll attach a picture of their backyard!)

Well, keep sending the letter from my firends! I love hearing from them!!!!! And don't quit sending me your letters, too :) Tell STeven Frei congrats for me! That's SO COOL! Here are some pictures! I love you all, and the Gospel is true! I love you -

Elder Monk



No comments: