Monday, July 18, 2011

Matt's letter for July 18,2011

HI mom!
Ok so... This week has been fantastic. The best week of my mission by FAR! Let me tell you about it:
Monday - I mostly packed and stuff. We went and talked to a few members and investigators and said bye to them. Bro. Snelling took us to ice cream at fosters, and Fred gave me a bunch of car magazines because he knows how much i love them. Nice! We also got to go into a mosonic lodge and see one of our investigators - bro. Risdon. It was weird to see him in his little apron, but he's way cool. I'll send you some pics soon.
Tuesday - We got up and packed everything up and took it to the curb and took some pictures with Bro. Sears and oggie and Sister Donovan. I love them! and i'll miss them.. Bro olmstead took us to ventura for the transfer meeting! We got there and we talked to other missionaries for a while then... I FOUND ELDER SHEISS! He is SUPER outgoing and tons of fun! At the beginning of the meeting they introduce the new missionaries and then introduce the zone leaders. So, I had to stand up! I think alot of people were suprised! Haha! Elder Sheiss has been out like 2 months longer than me. :) Haha! We drove back to Bakersfield along the Grapevine. Way pretty! It's been pretty cool in Bakes this week, around high 80's-90's, so we feel pretty blessed. It should be alot warmer this week! :) We met with a family - the millers - for dinner, and their son is getting ready to go to byu-i and is dating a non-member and she is taking hte discussions. It was so sweet to teach her! It was a ton of fun.
Wednesday - Since I am also our district leader, I got to do my first district meeting! It went really well, and we have an AWESOME district. I'm pumped! Our ward is about 620 people, with about 320 active, so we have alot of less-active work to do. We go and try to visit members, and if we don't talk to any people, our goal is to talk to at least someone before we get back into the car. So we STO! (Short testimony oppertunity) WE go and walk up and down the street and either knock here and there or talk to whoever's out. It's been a MIRACLE!!! We have talked to so many people! We got to teach our next door neighbor too(We live in a 4 man apartment off of Jewetta. It's actually really nice, like gated and everything!). He's in the military black ops, and he is super cool. What a great day!
Thursday - We just talked to everyone we could. We STO'd alot of people, and a lady invited us into her house while she was making salsa. It smelled exactly like when you do it, and i missed you! :) She fed us chips and salso while we talked about Jesus and the Gospel. Miracles!
Friday - We did basically the same thing. We have lots of lessons with memebers and less-active members and then we spend our spare time finding new poeple and planning out our coming week. We are always busy, and LAUGHING our heads OFF! Elder sheiss is so funny and basically my new best friend.
Saturday - I got to give my first baptism interview! As a district and Zone Leader, we are blessed to be ablt to do that. The man I interviewed was pretty solid, but had gone to jail for 30 days for a DUI Many years ago. So, I put off the baptism date and talked to president Castro about it, and he's talking to Salt Lake about it today. If nothing else, one of his counselors form Bakes will just do it, or he'll authorize me to sign him off, then he can get baptized next week! It was such a cool experience. I feel so blessed to be here now.
Sunday - We were in church from 8:00 to about 4:30. It was legit! We are over the Rosedale Ward and the Kern River YSA brance. The branch had a Linger Longer afterwords, and it was so fun! What great members we have and amazing people to help us. It was an awesome and busy day!
Ok, so my companion. Elder Nate Sheiss. From.... IDAHO FALLS. And.... We know ALLL the same people! His best friend is Chase Phillips and he knows Garrett, Alan, Briger, Michelle... Everyone! So we have TONS in common! It's so fun! Serously we are the best of friends! He moved to rigby when i was in 8th grade, then to utah. His dad died when he was in idaho falls, and his mom remarried, so that's why they moved to the Tah. He is basically the cooles missionary EVER. His enthusuasm matches (Nay, exceeds) mine! He are PERFECT for each other! Haha, so needless to say, i'm in bliss.
Where we are serving is pretty nice. Not too many ghettos, so it's cool. Since we cover the YSA branch, we get to go to the ghetto on occaision, AKA Oildale or "The 'Dale" It's awesome!
I feels so blessed to be here and to have this oppertunity! I'm so happy! Thanks for all your prayers. I love you tons! Ummm... a couple reguests for that package.. Maybe a tape recorder? Would you like that? Elder sheiss (End us all) Record messages for his family on p-days and he sends it home. Maybe you would like that? It's whatever you want. And music.. I would prefer the original, but if you own it ans send the copy, that's cool too. A tiny bit o cash? I love you. LOVE YOU. TONS! TONS.
Hmm... I think that's it. Thanks for all the prayers. Things are amazing here. I miss you dearly!



--
Elder Matthew Monk
California Ventura Mission
Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013

No comments: