Friday, July 8, 2011

Matt's letter for July 5th, 2011


Hey Mom!

I got your package!! Thank you so much. Sorry that we're emailing so late, but we didn't have anywhere to go yesterday, and we're not supposed to use people's personal computers. So here ya go:

Well, I got a typewriter this week!! We found it for a dollar in a HUGE catholic thrift store. It's electric, and it works like a charm. The ribbon gets caught up sometime, but it's kindof a fun thing to tinker with when i get a spare second. I sent you a letter I typed, so be expecting that.

The Risdon's came to church!!!! AGH!!! Finally! They have been promising and promising, but never did. It was Fast & Testimony meeting, and it was without a doubt the BEST one i've ever been to! It was so powerful and the Spirit was so strong. I loved it! The Lord is watching out for us.

Heavenly Father is really cool. He has helped me lots. Whenever things are hard, I go into the tiny bathroom and kneel down and say a little prayer, and I feel so much better. He is so powerful, and he knows how to succor me, because he's been there before. I am learning so much about myself and what I need to do better. Also, I think this is a good preparation for marriage. I think my wife will be more self-sufficient, but I'll probably need some more patience, haha! So please, don't worry about me! I'm doing fine, and this too shall pass. I really think i'm getting transferred next tuesday, so pray for me. Haha! I am excited though. I think a change would be nice. I love Carp, but I am excited for new things on my mission.

SO our 4th was good! We had breakfast at the Clarkes, and he always gives me a Dr. Pepper to take home because he knows how much I love it. :) They are good people. We did some shopping and got some shampoo and soap, then I wrote some letters. We also got some romaine lettuce from Bro Donovan's garden behind the church. He told us to take some if we wanted! It's SOO good! I've been eating salads for lunch alot lately. Sometimes i put some tuna on a piece with some dressing and make a "wrap." Haha! You've got a healthy kid on your hands! That and the pilates.... I'm gonna be skinny soon!! :) Haha! (By the way, I weigh about 10LBS less than when i first came out!) We went to The Kump's for dinner. He is the second counselor in the bishopric, and his wife teaches young womens. They have older sons that live at home and are going to school at SBCC. They also have a some, Karson, on a mission in connecticut. They always share cool experiences he has with us. For example, They knocked on this lady's door, she invited them in, gave them water bottles because it was hot, and sat down. They took the water, and his was opened already. The alarms went off, but he said it was so hot he had a drink. His mouth got really dry, then it went numb, and he felt really sick. She told his comp. to go get their car 3 or 4 blocks away,and wanted him to stay, but he said they both ran outta there. Haha! I'm pretty lucky that hasn't happened to me!

Mom, (and whoever else is going to read this letter) I know the church is true. It's as simple as that! We are part of a modern day work that is far bigger than any of us really realize. I am so grateful to Joseph Smith, and his courage to stand up for what he knew was right. He was a prophet and he ushered in this dispensation. I read a really great scripture the other day (probably more like a couple months ago. . . ) It's 2 Nephi 33:6. It says, "I glory in plainness; I glory in truth; I glory in my Jesus, for he hath redeemed my soul from hell." I love that passage, because it applies so well to missionary work. Our gospel is plain, it's true and we could never do it without the blood that Jesus willingly interposed on our behalf. I feel blessed to be a small part of his great and marvelous work. I know he loves me and cares for me. I can see that through the people that he places around me like my family, friends and now companions and people I can help find the truth. I am so blessed, and I know that we are led by living prophets today especially our chief Apostle, Thomas S. Monson. The words he speaks and the apostles speak are the words of the Lord. I was reading Neil L. Anderson's talk from conference the other day and in it he said, "The sun never sets on righteous missionaries testifying of the Savior." I am so blessed to be a missionary at this time. I love it! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Well, I wrote a little more in that letter, so be excited. I love you tons, and Thank You so much for being such a great example and leader to me. I'm so glad I know how to wash dishes and prepare food. You are AMAZING! I also appreciate you teaching me how to do laundry. You have taught me to save my pennies every way I can! I love you! Talk to you soon,


MMmm. I have to tell you one real quick thing! The Prince and Princess are coming to Carpinteria this weekend! You know the big royal wedding everyone has been talking about? Yeah! It's them! Haha! They are playing Polo at the santa barbara polo fields here in Carp. It's a benefit event, and tickets are going for a mere $4,000.00! Wanna come? Haha! And we saw an ad for a house thats selling for 33.8 million... Are you guys still in the market? It's open! :) I love you!

Matt

And Also, I don't have a mormon.org profile yet... We haven't got permission to do it yet. But I did find Dylan Ellsworth, you know our student body president junior year? He's serving in the same mission as austin. COOL! I'll let you know when i get one.

--
Elder Matthew Monk
California Ventura Mission
Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013

No comments: