Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Matt's letter for this week. . .


Just barely got Matt's letter for this week.  I worry so much when I don't hear from him.  There is always an excuse so all is well.  Enjoy.  .   .


Hi Family!!
Well to start off... I GOT YOUR PACKAGE MOM!!! Thanks so much! It made my day!! I know.... I should have waited till tomorrrow, but i was too excited!! :) I love the scriptures and especially the pictures. I miss you all a ton!! So thanks! And i was so sad to hear about Brother Walker.. That's too bad. I have their family in my prayers..
So! This week was hectic as you can tell. We had a two day ZLC in ventura on monday and tuesday, so we're getting a half a Pday today. We went and had training on how to be more effective leaders, giving correction, and being more christ-like, then sister Castro and the family had a mini birthday party for all the birthdays! Haha it was fun. we played pool and ping pong and foosball at the institute with Joseph, Sam, and Hannah. I loved it! And we had cake and ice cream. Woo! what great leaders we have in our mission! I am so blessed. On Tuesday we got up and had a morning devotional about pride and how to stay away from it, and read a talk by Elder Kim Clark (BYU IDaho) and then watched President Uchtdorf's 2008 talk on "Lift whewre you stand." it was so good! Then we had a regular ZLC and counciled and talked about our mission and missionaries. One thing that really stuck out to me was that as leadership in the mission, it's not really anything special. We are no different than an AP or a regular missionary. We are all callled to the LORD'S work. We are tools in his hands (2 Nephi 20:15). I love being able to learn from our president. He is called of God! I am soo blessed.
Dinner at Don and Karens was GREAT! Represented were: Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, and Mormon. HAha! It was a great discussion! We basically gave them the first lesson an dtaught them about authority. There was some difference of opinions, but in the end it was good. Right at the beginning  one daughter asked, "Is it true that you believe that only Mormon's go to heaven?" We answered "No..." and explained simply about our loving Father in Heaven and authority and Joseph Smith, then (you could almost see the dot's connecting in her head) she said, "So you believe that only you have the authority to baptise?" ... "Yes." ... "So it IS true that you believe that only mormon's go to heaven." ... So we taught about baptisms for the dead. Haha! It was a toughy, but they really enjoyed it! Haha it was SOO good. I love them. I believe that they are who I need to be here for. They are the ones I need to baptise! AGGHHHHH!! I JUST NEED TO GET THEM!! Haha
Anyway... I'm so glad Shara came over! I love her! Tell her hi!!! I miss all my friends so much. But I'm doing something pretty important! and the lord always comes first. :) Missionary work is the bomb.
 Please don't worry, mom! Things are really good! Like you said in your letter, it's just hard being with someone 24/7. You see EVERY flaw in them and they see every flaw in me...  But its a process that we have to go thru to be ready for longer-term commitment in life, like marriage and families. A mission is just a time for you to prepare for eternity with a companion of your choosing... right? But I do appreciate your advice, and i know it will help. I know i can always go to you for help mom! you are the bomb.com! Just nod your head like yeah! Move your hips like yeah! (Drop a little Miley quote for ya!) ahah!
With the gps... Thank you so much! When you send it, don't forget the car adapter!   and if you have the windiw mount, that would also be ideal... THANKS YOU!! You are the BEST parents in the world!!!!!!! I hope you know how much i love and apprecite every sacrifice you make for me. It never goes unnoticed! i love yoU!
If theres anything I can do for you, let me know! i love you soo much.
Im so glad everyone is doing well. Please send my love. I pray for you everyday!
Elder Matthew Monk
  California Ventura Mission
          Jan. 2011 - Jan. 2013

No comments: